Thursday, September 6, 2012

Looking for some good short stories?

For the past couple years I've always tried to fit in a book of short stories into my regular rotation of books.  Short stories are wonderful for a change of pace and they can offer something that regular novels can't always offer.  I'm amazed by the amount of emotion some short story authors can pack into their works.  Try one of these authors if you're looking for some great short fiction.

Alice Munro- This is my absolute favorite short story author.  Her stories aren't usually uplifting in any way but they are still very enjoyable.  All of her works are winners, but I would start by recommending "Something I've Been Meaning to Tell You" as a good jumping off point.

Dan Chaon- Chaon wrote two solid novels (Await Your Reply and Your Remind Me of Me) but is best known for his works of short fiction.  I was introduced to him through Among the Missing, a wonderful collection.  The overall theme is that of loneliness.  Many of the characters deal with loss of one kind or another and must deal with it in their own way.  Chaon can pack a big emotional punch in short order.

Lucia Maria Perillo- Perillo is a new author I stumbled upon recently.  I was extremely impressed with her writing style and look for big things in the future.  Her collection is entitled "Happiness is a Chemical in the Brain".  Honestly, how could I not pick up a book with that title?  It's difficult to describe the book, other than to say that the main characters don't react to outside influences in a way the reader is expecting.

Kevin Brockmeier- He's known more for his novels, but I found Brockmeier's "The View From the Seventh Layer" to be an excellent collection of short stories.  Some of the stories have a sci-fi, fantasy type feel for them, which is very different from the stories I normally read.  I also have to mention that this work has a "choose your own adventure" story, too.  How cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment