Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Man Booker International Prize Finalists

The Man Booker International Prize finalists were announced back in January.  Somehow this flew under my radar.  Better late than never, I suppose!

According to the Man Booker Prize website, "the prize is awarded every two years to a living author who has published fiction either originally in English or whose work is generally available in translation in the English language."  Past winners/nominees included such well-known authors as Milan Kundera and Joyce Carol Oates.  But, as the press release states, this year's list does not include many famous authors, aside from Marilynne Robinson and Aharon Applefield.  I see this as a strength rather than a weakness.  Readers will be introduced to authors they have never previously read.  That is something to celebrate!

Check out this year's finalists:

U R Ananthamurthy
Aharon Appelfeld
Lydia Davis- Check out Varieties of Disturbance to get a taste of this magnificent short story author.
Intizar Husain
Yan Lianke
Marie NDiaye- Three Strong Women has been on my "to read" list for way too long.  The reviews I have seen have been stellar.
Josip Novakovich- Terrific essayist is also known for his novel, April Fool's Day.
Marilynne Robinson- Check out popular works Home and Gilead.  Her book of essays, When I Was a Child I Read Books, is a solid collection.
Vladimir Sorokin
Peter Stamm- I really enjoyed Seven Years and We're Flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment