Friday, November 15, 2013

The Night Guest

My love for debut novels can be a blessing and a curse.  I recently had someone ask if I tend to read the follow-up to an author's debut.  When I responded with a "pfft", I realized I may have a problem.  However, it can certainly be a great thing when I find one of those under-the-radar titles that winds up being amazing.  Fiona McFarlane's debut, The Night Guest, is one of those titles that reminds me why I love reading debuts.

Ruth is a widow living in a beach house on the coast of Australia.  Her husband, Harry, passed away a year ago and, while Ruth gets along fine for the most part, something is certainly missing from her life now.  Enter Frida, a guest who arrives one night claiming to be a helper from the government.  She cleans, cooks, and even makes conversation with Ruth, getting to know her.  But where did Frida really come from?  And is she a good influence upon Ruth's life or is she too much of an influence?  As Ruth begins piecing together Frida's past, she finds herself wondering about her guest's intentions.

I love books that I have trouble classifying.  This is certainly one of them.  Mystery?  Literary Fiction?  Suspense?  Romance?  Psychological Fiction? All of the above applies here.  The writing style is magnificent and very lyrical.  If that doesn't pique your interest, did I mention the tiger Ruth occasionally hears in her home at night? 

Chris May- Adult Services Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment